Long before Sebring existed, a small group of Quakers settled near Sebring in the Maple-Ridge-School area and developed the land for farming.

On a nearby hill, the farmers built a small-frame worship building, known as the Friends meeting house. It was built on a two acre lot in the Northwest corner of section 34 in Smith Township, now in Mahoning County.

The area soon became known as “Quaker Hill.” The meeting house was originally built in the fall of 1829 as a log building. It burned do
wn in 1845, and was rebuilt in 1849.

A school was maintained in the same building, beginning in 1830. Hannah Courtney was in charge of the school in the summer and Nathan Heacock was in charge during the winter. Land around the meeting house was set aside for a cemetery, and Hannah Trago’s was the first grave in 1831.

In the autumn of 1836, a school house was built by direction of the Public School law of Ohio, where the present school or Friends church now stands. The meeting thus established was known as West Preparative meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, sometimes called “Hicksites,” and later “Quakers.” They depended upon no minister to call the con
gregation together, nor any music to cheer the solemn assembly. They met in silence and equality to receive the celestial light in the soul and learn and practice good will toward men.

In this quiet way, the meeting prospered for many years. Enos Heacock served as minister and took a leading part in the work of the church until 1900.

The building still stands today with the Quaker Burial Ground nearby.
.psggr-id-1488 #History {background-color: #ffbb33;}